- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 4 slices wheat bread, buttered
- Black pepper
- 2 halved tomatoes (if desired)
Preheat the oven to 450 F (230 C). Whisk the eggs lightly and stir in the grated cheese, mustard, and pepper.
Lay the buttered bread facedown in a shallow baking dish and divide the cheese mixture among the slices, spreading it out evenly.
Bake in the oven for 10 - 15 minutes, or until well risen and golden brown, adding the halved tomatoes for a few minutes, if using.
Serve immediately, with the tomatoes, and garnish with sprigs of watercress and parsley.
Variation: A slice of cooked ham may be added to the sliced bread before the cheese mixture, if wished.
[Source: The Food and Cooking of Ireland, Biddy White Lennon and Georgina Campbell, Hermes House, 2013]
- ermichaels likes this
- thedrewarchive2 reblogged this from breelandwalker
- littlepagandeer reblogged this from breelandwalker
- littlepagandeer likes this
- mellow-on-the-mind likes this
- im-tessa-pollitt likes this
- alpha-centauri likes this
- nerdydraenei likes this
- buffy-s likes this
- bibliophilecellistsoulsearcher likes this
- laceprozac-pixiedust likes this
- theknittingfox likes this
- wimsatmid9 likes this
- sunflowersoulchild likes this
- angedelune likes this
- beriani reblogged this from breelandwalker
- jayjr2 reblogged this from breelandwalker
- jayjr2 likes this
- breelandwalker posted this